To celebrate St Patrick’s day, the science museum in London has put up a webpage including some of the objects in its collection with Irish connections. They include an Orrery – a model of movements in the solar system – made for the fourth Earl Orrery in County Cork, an enormous mirror from the Leviathan telescope of Parsonstown, which was the largest in the world for seventy years, a smaller twenty-inch reflecting double telescope, built by Grubbs of Dublin, who also built telescopes now in operation at the University of London Observatory, and an astronomical take on a drop of the black stuff.
When the Sun Hits the Sky
Calendar of posts
Previous Post Archive
- October 2013 (2)
- January 2012 (1)
- April 2011 (2)
- October 2010 (19)
- September 2010 (45)
- August 2010 (32)
- July 2010 (131)
- June 2010 (122)
- May 2010 (119)
- April 2010 (139)
- March 2010 (108)
- February 2010 (12)
- January 2010 (1)
- December 2009 (8)
- November 2009 (1)
- October 2009 (47)
- September 2009 (197)
- August 2009 (156)
- July 2009 (150)
- June 2009 (151)
- May 2009 (142)
- April 2009 (107)
- March 2009 (79)
- February 2009 (17)
Most recent posts
- RT @AllPlanets: ESO astronomers delivered the first statistical study of the physics and orbits for a large number of exocomets http://t.co… 4 hours ago
- RT @AlsBoy: Please RT to raise awareness of the plight of cats trapped in a folk music environment http://t.co/lL9eI4Tkos 4 hours ago
- RT @Ri_Science: Physics fans, take a look through the @realscientists timeline for a great photo tour of the Large Hadron Collider tunnel w… 4 hours ago
- RT @Space_Station: #Exp41 cosmonauts @MSuraev and A. Samokutyaev begin #spacewalk at 9:28am ET... go.nasa.gov/1s7SxZY http://t.co/nWbMfn… 16 hours ago
- Another group shown around ULO. Telescopes trained onto the Sun and then showed the group the same big sunspot through eclipse glasses. 16 hours ago
How many hit these skies
- 98,456 hits
My Flickr Photos
Most Active Posts
- How did Mars lose its magnetic field
- Has all of particle physics been solved?
- The best refractors of the past decade?
- New edition of Astronomy Now out
- How fast are we losing our atmosphere?
- July edition of Practical Astronomy online
- Is space nothing more than a mirage?
- Work-life balance in astronomy
- Jupiter's impact on minor body populations
- Do the oceans create the Cosmic Microwave Background?